Saturday, May 24, 2008

Interviews with newly-elected Student Council members

You can check out the results of all school elections here and class elections here, but for interviews with the winners stay right here. Continue for interviews with All School President Raina Jacques, All School Treasurer Andrew Garcia, Senior Class President Dani Lubin-Levy, Senior Class Vice President Rafael Cabral, and Senior Class Treasurer Michael Firer. We'll add more interviews over the next few days, so check back soon!




All School President: Raina Jacques

What was your first act in office?
My first act in office, besides jumping up and down with Sowande during dinner on our second night of Dreamgirls, was meeting with the administration and the former leaders about some advice they can give me to successfully lead the school next year.

How have you liked running meetings?
Running meetings is a lot of fun but very nerve wracking. It's very exciting to see the amount of love and support that I get all across the Beaver community. Even from just standing in front of the whole school I am sure to encounter a smile that keeps me calm because it gives me a sense of assurance up there.

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
My biggest goal for next year is that we can enjoy ourselves as a community as much as we can. I know how hard it is as a junior to have very stressful and challenging classes and I feel it is important to give ourselves a break once in a while to help us maintain our focus. I am hoping that our meetings will continue to be a variety of presentations where every day there is something new to look forward to.

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
My biggest fear for next year is that not everyone will agree with the decisions we make as a student council, but I'm hoping that the majority of the community will keep supporting us.

Any other comments?
I am really excited to be your leader for next year. Beaver has shaped me personally throughout my 3 years here and I cannot wait to learn more from each and every one of you.





All School Treasurer: Andrew Garcia

What will be your first act in office?
I don't have any idea what my first act in office will be, and I sort of like that. I haven't had enough time to talk to other Beaver students and really understand the direction they want the school to go in.

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
My biggest goal for next year will be to find better places for students to relax or hang-out during frees. My campaign was all about improving the student experience at Beaver, and I guess that starts with creating a comfortable environment here on campus.

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
Failing to live up to the responsibility of my office, creating a giant mechagodzilla to fight the real one, or starting a communist witch-hunt in which I unfairly persecute innocent Beaver students.


Trustee / Parent Association Representative: Sam Freeman

What was/will be your first act in office?
My first act in office will be finding out exactly what my job title entails, including who the trustees actually are.

What issues are especially important when talking to trustees and parents? What makes your position unique?
The trustees and parents manage most of the school's money and also posess ultimate veto power, therefore it is imperative to have someone (aka me) who can act as a link between the students and the parents/trustees in order to foster a better relationship the two bodies, no pun intended. My position is unique because I have to be able to understand the students needs, and communicate those needs effectively to the parents/trustees.

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
My biggest goal is to prevent Andrew Garcia from fomenting a military coup of the student government and installing a junta and a totalitarian dictatorship with himself as the sole power.

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
See above.

Any other comments?
Git'r done.



Senior Class President: Dani Lubin-Levy

What will be your first act in office?
My first act will hopefully planning some senior fundraiser event to raise money for a charity that our class chooses, but of course I would love to know what my peers would like to do.

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
My biggest goal is to unify the class, really breaking down on the cliques and barriers.

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
My biggest fear would probably have to be doing the graduation speech. While it is very exciting, I know I will be so nervous!

How does it feel to be representing your class in its final year at Beaver?
I am so excited to represent my class for my senior year! I've been at Beaver since 6th grade and have gone through a lot with this class and can't wait to be a strong leader.



Senior Vice President: Rafael Cabral

What will be your first act in office?
Well as I mentioned in my speech on Friday, I look to be part of a team next year. For this reason, I will have to have a conversation with the other members of the student council (next year's senior class student council as well as the all school student council) to decide what is best for the senior class and for the school. However, I believe a good starting point would be to work on the lunch menu for next year. There were definitely some good lunches this year, though I, as well as many other students, feel there could be some improvement in this area.

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
Making next year the best and most fun year at Beaver for everyone in the senior class.

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
I can't really think of any at the moment. I think the senior class student government and the all school student government will do a great job next year.

How does it feel to be representing your class in its final year at Beaver?
Well of course it feels great. I'm glad my grade gave me the opportunity to improve their final year at Beaver, and I will try my best to accomplish all the goals I have planned for next year.

Considering you had a starring role in the 2006 smash hit "Dan y el Toro," do you consider yourself Beaver's version of actor-politicians like Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwartzenegger?
Well I guess in that sense sure! However, much of the reason those two candidates were chosen to serve in office was because of their fame and popularity. I don't believe this was the case for me; I honestly think that my class chose me because they felt I was a good candidate who could make their senior class as enjoyable as possible.

Any other comments?
I'd just like to say thank you to the entire junior class (next year's senior class) for allowing me this opportunity, and Beaver better be ready for "Dan y el Toro DOS!!"




Senior Class Treasurer: Michael Firer

What will be your first act in office?
That depends on what's practical. I'll probably try to find better uses of unused space. Maybe look into the whole lost and found dealie. 'Cause that's a nice room.

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
Actually get something permanent done.

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
Having to support stupid t-shirts. *cough* What? Who said that?

How does it feel to be representing your class in its final year at Beaver?
If you only knew.

What will you do about the vending machine situation? Are you satisfied with its outcome, or still pushing for action?
I assume this is one of those things Beaver doesn't plan to change (that new machine probably cost a pretty penny), but I'll try to get the soda machine back. If they're not going to offer an alternative, they can't take the old one away.

Will you fight childhood obesity The Awesome Way?
I mean, I would, but you just know all the middle schoolers would hog the DDR machine.

As a class officer and newspaper contributor, will you leak confidential government secrets to the press?
Isn't that just assumed?

Any other comments?
Pleasedon'tstopthemusiiiiic, pleasedon'tstopthemusiiiiic, pleasedon'tstopthe-pleasedon'tstopthe-pleasedon'tstopthe musiiiic!


Junior Vice President: Willy Tucker

What will be your first act in office?
My first act will likely be to lay out a general plan for the year to come. Then I might create a few taxes. I would probably create one regarding the transport of written documents, and maybe some on things like glass, paint, etc. Sans representation, of course.

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
My biggest goal? To make the students actually happy with their Student Government.

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
Spiders, most likely. Unless something drastically changes between now and then. A jellyfish attack might do it.

Do you pledge not to raise taxes?
See #1.

Will you make Beaver energy independent if it means cranking a generator with your own two hands?
Ha.....that's a laugh. If I could clone myself, however, and have the clone crank the wheel, of course. That would bring up a few issues of morality among the student body, but you know what? I don't care. I will achieve energy independance at any cost (barring any personal effort).

Do you support a preemptive strike against the underground bunkers of the Brimmer & May School?
Is that de-classified yet?

Is it true that when you first came to Beaver in 6th Grade, you arrived under heavy sniper fire and had to sprint from the car into Bradley Hall?
Umm......I misspoke?

Do you think I'm giving you ridiculous questions just because I'm your brother?
Oh my god! You're my brother? It all makes sense now.

Any other comments?
Long live our glorious motherland, her freedom and her independence! Under the banner of Lenin---Onward to victory!

Sophomore Vice President: Tiesha Pough

What will be your first act in office?
Since this is my first time in office at Beaver, my first act in office would be to gather all the student's issues and concerns. It’s important for me to do this because I’m the one who’s representing them and for me to know what issues and concerns they have, it’s a step to making the 10th grade class WONDERFUL!!

What's your biggest goal for the next year?
My biggest goal for the upcoming school year is to not only unify my grade but to make it a year they will enjoy and never forget!!

What's your biggest fear for the next year?
I don’t have any fear at this moment but I am a little nervous about it since this is my first time in office but I’m planning on giving it my all.

Any other comments?
I want to thank the class of 2011 for electing me as their class Vice President and the Beaver Reader for taking in the time to interview me. Thank You!!

No comments: